Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Left is Wild about "Tookie"

As everyone knows by now, the founder of the Crips and murderer "Tookie" Williams has been sent to meet his maker, by the State of California. One observation. The left, who always decries the "black and white, with us or against us" thinking of the right is absolutely, positively sure that his execution was wrong, wrong, wrong. People kill 3000 by flying planes into two buildings, well you have to look at both sides. Kill an unborn child? Well, that's a woman's private decision. Remove a woman's feeding tube and dehydrating her to death? Well, that's very complicated. But put a convicted murdered to death, after having been found guilty in a court of law, and given all constitutional protections, that's just brutal, uncivilized, barbaric behavior that's morally wrong!! Ok all you lefties, see you at the next Pro-Life Rally!

6 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Alan McDonald said...

CH,
I've never been a big fan of the left/right dichotomy, but it is a better benchmark than liberal/conservative. If we view left and right as collections of mutually exclusive political positions, we can usefully argue for/against each without the unhelpful baggage of how did we get here.
That is, unless "how we got here" is really the point, and the actual current political positions arre irrelevant.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Chas said...

Alan, You're right that left/right, lib/con are so overused as to have little meaning. It's like por, you know it when you see it. Some clarity needs to be brought to the definitions. I'll see what I can come up with!

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Frank O'Dwyer said...

...as opposed to the 'right', who believe that the taking of a life that poses no threat is wrong, wrong, wrong - yet demand the taking of a life that poses no threat in response, just as they casually accept causing the deaths of 10000s of Iraqi civilians who pose no threat, sit idly by while children who pose no threat die like flies in the 3rd world, demand the right to shoot people that they FEEL may pose a threat, at the same time as they criticise women for taking "lives" that DO pose a threat to them.

Of course all that's somehow different.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger MonicaR said...

Yikes! Frank O'Dwyer!

He's a lefty whack if I ever saw one.

There's a definition for the left if I ever saw it. Frank O'Dwyer.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger City Troll said...

Frank how come we haven't seen you ATW?????

 
At 6:01 PM, Anonymous Frank O'Dwyer said...

Troll,

Since DV banned me (soon after lifted, but with conditions), I don't comment directly on the ATW site any more.

To me it is a freedom of speech issue (sort of), and a matter of trust. It's a minor issue in this case, but I value the freedom to speak as I wish, and I value it a lot. While ATW can impose any conditions they want on their site, of course, I don't have to accept them.

I now comment from time to time on ATW using my own blog.

It's a shame, because there is often a high standard of debate on ATW (although as you know I disagree with a lot of it), and I think there are some very intelligent and challenging people on there, but such is life. Anyway I'm sure you're not missing me all that much :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://www.forret.com/tools/trackback.asp?title=The Left is Wild about "Tookie"&blog_name=Jeremiah's Helper&url=http://jeremiahshelper.blogspot.com/2005/12/left-is-wild-about-tookie.html