Monday, February 20, 2006

Frank Talk With a Muslim Friend

A Muslim friend of mine and I got together for dinner and had a rowsing talk about the current troubles. The most suprising thing that he said was that Islam has an "ENEMY WITHIN." Coming from this guy, who acts more muslim than the Big M, this was quite an admission. He said that the talk around the mosque water-cooler was that even though the Danes went too far with the cartoons, the violence was unacceptable.

I pressed him on that further, and his answer was less than I hoped for.

Q: Why was the violence unacceptable?
A: Because all the cars and businesses being burned probably belonged to other
brothers (muslims).

Not quite the ecumenical outlook I expected, and I think he agreed that it shouldn't be done to anyone. He still believes that Islam is the only way to God, but I was getting the sense that the mood with the muslims at his mosque was one of a bit of shock that all this could come about within the ROP.

The fact that Muslims are beginning to talk about an enemy within their religion is a glimmer of hope for me. But just a glimmer.

10 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger MonicaR said...

Wow.

I've lost hope. This is a major downer.

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just curious

Seems that someone at jopoliticsnsociety.blogspot.com is calling the city troll a child abuser. wow!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger City Troll said...

I guess I'm a child abuser because I love my children enough to home school them and give them love and a happy home. Somthing the little confused slut would never be able to supply

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger MonicaR said...

It's typical JoSpeak.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Chas said...

Monica, Let not your heart be troubled. We are many and they are few. I think it's just a shock for us to find out this crap is not just "over there" but also down the street. When Bush closed down the Holy Land Foundation in a speech in the Rose Garden in 2002, I jumped up outa my easy chair, b/c their damned hq was not 4 miles south of here! Worse than having Yankees and other varmits around! :)

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous alison said...

Not sure why anonymous thought it was worth the heads up other than to provoke. Who cares?

Chas - when im up to posting something ill put up that piece on the research from France i did a while back..very interesting to hear these povs

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Chas said...

Alison, Hope your feeling better soon, and would love to see that research. you seem to have been everywhere and done such interesting things! I can't tell ya the last time I was out of Dallas!

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous alison said...

And id love to go to Dallas or Philly, never been there....

I feel a bit better thanks. Enough to take a 'wonder' thru the blogs the last 24 hours. Ill catch up on some posts pretty soon :)

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger MonicaR said...

You come right on over to Philly anytime Alison. Troll and I will treat you to a Philly Cheesesteak. Philly is a great city to visit.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger DV said...

I agree Philly is a great city to visit - and some great people to meet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://www.forret.com/tools/trackback.asp?title=Frank Talk With a Muslim Friend&blog_name=Jeremiah's Helper&url=http://jeremiahshelper.blogspot.com/2006/02/frank-talk-with-muslim-friend.html