Tuesday, March 28, 2006

"Marriage Is For White People"

Now before you get up my rear end, notice the above is in quotation marks. It's an article in the March 26th Washington Post written by an African-American woman, who laments the fact that marriage within her community at large has fallen so low, that it doesn't even seem like something that blacks do anymore. Here is a quote that is quite something:

"I was stunned to learn that a black child was more likely to grow up living with both parents during slavery days than he or she is today, according to sociologist Andrew J. Cherlin."

Well, before I go and say something Un-PC, I'll let the author tell the story.

1 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger Alan_McDonald said...

Chas,

Best lines from the piece were the closing ones:

As one woman said, "If it weren't for the intangibles, the allure of the lovey-dovey stuff, I wouldn't have gotten married. The benefits of marriage are his character and his caring. If not for that, why bother?"

Aren't our wives lucky that they found men with so much character and caring. Ouch, I just broke my arm patting my back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://www.forret.com/tools/trackback.asp?title="Marriage Is For White People"&blog_name=Jeremiah's Helper&url=http://jeremiahshelper.blogspot.com/2006/03/marriage-is-for-white-people.html