Tuesday, April 04, 2006

England Not Civil???

I ran acrossed this interesting post on Drudge by Joan Collins on her native England. She laments:

"Recently, I have concluded that London is no longer the 'seat of civilised society' that the world once considered it to be, and is certainly not the safe city I grew up in.

A particular incident demonstrated the lack of respect and manners that is but a small example of the horrible, encroaching decay of the country that I love dearly.

My husband Percy and I were at a ball at the Grosvenor House Hotel -- a black-tie event attended by the socalled 'elite' of the city.

As Percy held the door open to let me through, a 6ft tall, middle-aged, horse-faced male pushed past me, trod on the hem of my dress and rushed outside to climb into the taxi that the doorman had waiting for us.

This was a person who should, or at least looked like he should, have known better. The cause of his behaviour? The awful pervasive disregard that we have for civility today."

This is less than 100 years after the Titanic sinking, where 80 % of the men died, whereas 74% of the women lived, because men took seriously "women and children first." I hope I'm the type of man that would dress up and be prepared to go down like a gentleman, and not a modern one one who pushes past a lady to get into a taxi!

1 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Its true to a degree though lately and post 7/7 ive noticed Londoners getting friendlier overall. What she is referring to is the 'success' of feminism.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://www.forret.com/tools/trackback.asp?title=England Not Civil???&blog_name=Jeremiah's Helper&url=http://jeremiahshelper.blogspot.com/2006/04/england-not-civil.html