Monday, April 10, 2006

Steyn On Immigration

Mark Steyn writes another fine column for the Chicago Sun-Times. The thrust of it is, I think, that the INS is so screwed up now, that there is no way it could possibly handle 10 million new illegals all at once. This paragraph is as beautifully written as it is sickenly true:

"Here's another place where family values stops: The rubble of the World Trade Center. Deena Gilbey is a British subject whose late husband worked on the 84th floor: On the morning of Sept. 11, instead of fleeing, he returned to the building to help evacuate his co-workers. A few days later, Mrs. Gilbey receives a letter from the INS noting that as she's now widowed her immigration status has changed and she's obliged to leave the country along with her two children (both U.S. citizens). Think about that: Having legally admitted to the country the terrorists who killed her husband, the U.S. government's first act on having facilitated his murder is to add insult to grievous injury by serving his widow with a deportation order. Why should illegal Mexicans be the unique beneficiaries of a sentimental blather about "family values" to which U.S. immigration is otherwise notoriously antipathetic?"

Stunning!! You would do yourself well by reading this article.

4 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, Blogger MonicaR said...

I can't get to the article linked - but I've been having connectivity problems all evening.

I am ANGRY about this! The Mexicans come over the border in labor for Gawd sake just so they pop that baby out in the US and then stay in this country with US citizen kids. I'm pissed. Sorry for the language but I am PISSED!

Who do I write to? I'm getting so sick of writing to my reps and them doing not a thing.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous fig27tree said...

we once tried to get into the US to join my sister. didnt work, not interested. Sad really as my father was fine financially to retire there. And i could get a job easily enough with a transfer. I would have thought you could use more people like ME! :)

Very sad story. That happens here of course.

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous alison said...

that was me.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger MonicaR said...

Alison - we would love to have you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://www.forret.com/tools/trackback.asp?title=Steyn On Immigration&blog_name=Jeremiah's Helper&url=http://jeremiahshelper.blogspot.com/2006/04/steyn-on-immigration.html